Installing gcc into a separate diretory

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 21 13:54:11 PST 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 15:44, Paul van Hoven wrote:

> Is it possible to install the gcc43 package into a certain directory, i.e. when I configure/compile one normally is able to set the installation directory by
>
> ./configure --prefix=/desired/path/to/installation
>
> and the program will be completely placed in there. Now, is this somehow also possible whne installing the gcc43 package? Something like macports --prefix="/path/to/installation" install gcc43

No; MacPorts is in control of where the software will be installed and you cannot change this (except for changing the prefix globally, for all ports, a decision which you can make at MacPorts install time before you've installed any ports). Ports that depend on gcc43 and other ports depend on them being in predictable locations.