perl5, perl5.* changes

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Sat Feb 26 17:48:08 PST 2011

On 2011-02-26 16:47:01 -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> My personal opinion is that we shouldn't bother with the 5.x ports.
> We should have moved perl5 from 5.8 to 5.10 to 5.12 and just
> rev-bumped the p5 ports when the changes were made ...

I completely agree. Like the other ports.

> There may be a case for keeping perl5 around once perl6 appears (if
> ever) - but I don't know of any reasons to keep 5.8 around.

AFAIK, Perl6 is a completely different and incompatible language
(unless the Perl6 interpreter can detect Perl5 scripts and convert
them on the fly). So, one would need to keep both perl5 and perl6
for many years.

> People who have stuff that they want to test before upgrading to a
> newer perl would still have that option.

There's the same kind of risks with libraries (and this is even worse,
as some libraries tend to be less stable, from the API point of view,
than Perl). Still, there is only one version of a given library in
MacPorts.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>