bind9 / named questions

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 2 19:59:11 PST 2011

On Jan 2, 2011, at 18:06, William H. Magill wrote:

> I haven't found any separate man pages or documentation for daemondo ....
> only "daemondo -h"

daemondo is a part of MacPorts base. MacPorts uses it for all launchd plists it creates, though probably most software doesn't need it. I think it's needed for those ports whose daemons do not offer the option not to daemonize (which as discussed previously would be a problem for launchd); in that case, daemondo can monitor a pid file instead.

> The interesting issue for named is that  when running with the "-f" option it  apparently "invokes" or otherwise "prevents"
> certain kinds of logging.
>
> From:  http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.2/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#id2553006
> ------------------<cut here>--------------------------------------
> channel default_debug {
>    file "named.run";                   // write to named.run in
>                                        // the working directory
>                                        // Note: stderr is used instead
>                                        // of "named.run"
>                                        // if the server is started
>                                        // with the '-f' option.
>    severity dynamic;                   // log at the server's
>                                        // current debug level
>
> ... so which file is "stderr" for something running from "launchd?"
>
> As best I can tell, it's "/var/log/system.log," but I don't know that for a fact.

Hmm, could be system.log, though the MacPorts Guide says the default is not to log anything; if you want logging, you would use "startupitem.logevents yes" and then set "startupitem.logfile" to the path where you want the logfile to be written.

http://guide.macports.org/chunked/reference.startupitems.html