gfmt and editing of system files

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 3 13:09:35 PST 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 11:44, David Epstein wrote:

> I just installed Leopard (was on Tiger).
> Then I did
> sudo port selfupdate
> which succeeded.

When you change major versions of Mac OS X, you'll need to manually install the latest Xcode from Apple, and also uninstall and reinstall all ports. Please see:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

> I also did some cleaning up, in the course of which I lost gfmt that I use all the time.
>
> Q1. The puzzle for me is: how do I find out which port in Macports contains gfmt?

There isn't a MacPorts command to do that, unless you already have the port installed. Since I do, I can tell you:

$ port provides $(which gfmt)
/opt/local/bin/gfmt is provided by: coreutils

> Q2. Which system files am I supposed to edit at this point? For example 'man port' no longer finds 'port', so I suppose the search path for man is not including /opt/local/man

/opt/local/share/man is actually the path you want to use. The relevant variable is MANPATH which can be set in ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc or similar bash startup file. Note that you probably *don't* want to set MANPATH; you probably want to just set PATH and let the system create MANPATH dynamically based on PATH.

> Q3. Is there an info file for port? I can't find any.

I suppose not. There's a manpage, an online manual (the guide), and the wiki pages.