errors installing a port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 3 15:04:38 PST 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 16:18, Thomas Scofield wrote:

>> You seem to be missing perl, though it is one of p5-locale-gettext's dependencies. Please clean p5-locale-gettext and try again:
>>
>> sudo port clean p5-locale-gettext
>> sudo port install p5-locale-gettext
>>
>> If that fails the same way, verify perl5 and perl5.8 are installed and active:
>>
>> port installed perl5.8 perl5
>>
>> If they are, you could try reinstalling them:
>>
>> sudo port -n upgrade --force perl5.8 perl5
>
> After cleaning p5-locale-gettext, the install command gave me this output
>
> > install p5-locale-gettext
> --->  Computing dependencies for p5-locale-gettext
> --->  Fetching p5-locale-gettext
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for p5-locale-gettext
> --->  Extracting p5-locale-gettext
> --->  Applying patches to p5-locale-gettext
> --->  Configuring p5-locale-gettext
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command failed (see log for details)
> Log for p5-locale-gettext is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-locale-gettext/main.log
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

And the main.log referenced above still contains the line about /opt/local/bin/perl being missing?

> Both perl5 and perl5.8 are there.

"there" meaning both installed and active? The output of "port installed perl5 perl5.8" shows both perl5 and perl5.8, and both have "(active)" at the end of the line?

> Is it relevant that at a terminal prompt I have
>
> $ which perl
> /usr/bin/perl
>
> $ perl --version
> This is perl, v5.10.0 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level
>

> which, I presume, is the version of perl that Apple includes in OS 10.6.5, and

Correct, that's Apple's perl, and assuming your shell is set up correctly, it confirms again that /opt/local/bin/perl is missing. It should have been provided by the perl5 port. So please reinstall it, per the further instructions I already provided above.

Looking at the perl5 port, I see that there is (was) a possibility that it could be installed without creating the symlink. I changed this now so that it will instead issue an error message and fail in this case. Please wait 30 minutes, then "sudo port selfupdate", before trying to rebuild, so that you get this change.

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/74848