FATAL ERROR: Could not find mysqld & Missing Port 3306

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 6 22:18:33 PST 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 13:49, David Gentry wrote:

> Following your advice, I carefully tried to uninstall all previous disk image versions of MySQL that I had downloaded from the MySQL web site.  Also, I uninstalled mysql and mysql-server using sudo port uninstall.
>
> I carefully followed the instructions on the web page you referred me to.  I had no trouble until I tried to install the mysql main database.  Using both commands given, I received the following reply:
>
> "FATAL ERROR: Could not find mysqld
>
> The following directories were searched:
>
>     /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/libexec
>     /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/sbin
>     /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/bin
>
> If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to
> copy the software into the correct location ready for operation.
>
> If you are using a binary release, you must either be at the top
> level of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir option
> pointing to that location."

Whatever program or script generated that error message was not provided by MacPorts; MacPorts would not be looking for anything in /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64. I'm guessing it was provided by the software in that directory, which I'm guessing was not completely uninstalled.

What command did you run to get that message? something with mysql_install_db(5)? (It appears to be an error message that mysql_install_db(5) would produce.) If so, where is the mysql_install_db(5) it is finding -- what does "which mysql_install_db" (or "which mysql_install_db5") say? What is in your path -- what does "echo $PATH" say?

> I searched for "mysqld" on my Mac, and I found it installed yesterday (when I was working from your referred instructions) in the following two locations:
>
> /opt/local/libexec/mysqld
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/software/mysql5/mysql5.1.51_0/opt/local/libexec/mysqld

Yes, those are where MacPorts would install it, so that's normal.