mpich2 and python

Jörg Frauendiener joerg.frauendiener at mac.com
Fri Jan 7 22:02:49 PST 2011

I have recently come across a somewhat surprising issue:
I installed py27-mpi4py which depends on mpich2 and python27. I was surprised to see that mpich2 itself depends on python25. Can someone explain to me why that should be the case? The same is true for py26-mpi4py.

I have played around with the Portfile, replacing the references in mpich2 to python25 with python27 and it installs perfectly. I have not done any other tests, though. So the question is: is this dependency on python25 a necessity or can it be replaced with python2[67]?

Joerg

--
Jorg Frauendiener         | Tel.: +64-3-479-7770
Mathematics & Statistics  | Fax:  +64-3-479-8427
University of Otago       | joergf at maths.otago.ac.nz
P.O. Box 56               | jorg.frauendiener at otago.ac.nz
Dunedin 9010              | http://www.maths.otago.ac.nz
Skype: frauendiener