FATAL ERROR: Could not find mysqld & Missing Port 3306

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 8 01:14:04 PST 2011

On Jan 7, 2011, at 14:39, David Gentry wrote:

> Your guess makes sense to me: the FATAL ERROR came from script that I did not successfully uninstall.  I ran "which mysql_install_db5" and the response was "/opt/local/bin/mysql_install_db5."  The file and a lot of other mysql files were in that directory and they were alias files.  I sent all of them to trash.

Those symlinks were put there by MacPorts and they belonged there; you should not have trashed them. Now we need to put them back. The easiest way is to deactivate and reactivate mysql5.

sudo port -f deactivate mysql5
sudo port activate mysql5

Before you trash something that might have been installed by MacPorts, you can use the "port provides" command; if it says the file was provided by a port, then you probably don't want to remove or change it.

For example on my system:

$ port provides /opt/local/bin/mysql_install_db5
/opt/local/bin/mysql_install_db5 is provided by: mysql5

So back to the fatal error problem. We have the discrepancy that, on the one hand, you're following the MAMP instructions in the wiki, which say to run mysql_install_db5, which you show is provided by MacPorts and if you remove the file provided by MacPorts then it clearly fails to find the command anymore, which demonstrates there is no other command around with the same name that's interfering. But on the other hand, when you run mysql_install_db5, it says it's searching for files in directories inside /usr/local that MacPorts isn't supposed to know anything about, and which indeed you say you've already deleted.

Perhaps you could send me your /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_install_db script; I can compare it with mine and make sure we're using the same program. Reading through the script, I don't see off hand how it could be finding those paths in /usr/local.