mangled output from perldoc

Mark E. Perkins mep1 at sixshooterpeaks.net
Sun Jan 9 10:55:08 PST 2011

I'm trying to migrate to MacPorts for software package management and I've
run into a major hurdle.  I installed perl5.12:

-> port installed perl5.12
  perl5.12 @5.12.2_0+shared+threads (active)

When I run 'perldoc', text that should show as underlined or bold is
displayed with surrounding escape sequences that should control text
formatting:

-> perldoc -v \$\!
    $OS_ERROR
    $ERRNO
    $!      If used numerically, yields the current value of the C "errno"
            variable, or in other words, if a system or library call fails,
            it sets this variable.  This means that the value of $! is
            meaningful only ESC[4mimmediatelyESC[24m after a
ESC[1mfailureESC[22m:

    <output snipped>

When I do the same thing with perl5.12 built from scratch, text is
displayed properly (i.e., 'immediately' is underlined and 'failure' is bold).

I don't see this issue in the tracker and I'm not finding anything helpful
with Google.

Does anyone here know a fix for this?

Thanks,
Mark