problem with PATH defined in .profile and environment.plist

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 13 12:01:14 PST 2011

On Jan 11, 2011, at 16:47, heapifyman wrote:

> I know I can add the things that macporst adds to the PATH in my environment.plist and comment out the "export PATH ..." in .profile but I guess this will be added again once macports updates itself?

MacPorts itself contains no code that modifies your .profile. Only the installer package, on the MacPorts disk image, does so. So as long as you update MacPorts using "sudo port selfupdate", your .profile will not be modified by MacPorts again. But if you update MacPorts by downloading a new disk image and installing that, then your .profile will be modified again.