Emacs not launching independent Xwindow (emacs shell)

gmail gregkeefer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:22:58 PST 2011

I have installed macports and use many of the other applications without
problems.  I have had a problem in getting any of the emacs versions to
provide a x-window in the command  ³emacs test &² which should launch GNU
emacs into its own window as in a Linux environment.

I have X11 working properly on my Mac as I get xclock and other X11
dependent objects/programs to work fine so it isn¹t the display variable or
anything like this that I am aware of as I have tested many things.

Is there a trick to get around the emacs that is already installed on the
Macbook Pro and Air?  I have tried both of these laptops and they both have
the same problem with emacs from macports even though it is supposed to be
the GNU emacs which supports the emacs program shell.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.