iOS cross compiling support

James Gregurich bayoubengal at mac.com
Mon Jan 24 18:37:53 PST 2011

hi.

I've done the proof-of-concept work on extending macports to handle cross-compiling so that it can be used to maintain 3rd party libs for iOS development. I have successfully built ICU against the iPhone sdk and have it running in the debugger on an iPad.

I'd like to turn this work over to a macports developer to be vetted, completed and merged into the mainline build in an appropriate fashion. I didn't know much about the internals of macports and I didn't known anything about TCL. I figured out most of the details as I went along. I'd like to turn the work over to someone more qualified than I am in scripting langauges and macports to complete the project.

Is there any interest of the part of the macports developers in accepting the work?

NOTE: I did not use your version control system. I modified the scripts in place after the system was installed. I can provide a list of the files I changed and some explanation on what was changed. I basically attempted to piggy-back target/host support on top of the existing variables without changing their function. The approach is fine for proof-of-concept, but the the underlying variables such as os.version and such should be modified and/or renamed to make the design cleaner. However, that task should be done by someone who knows the internals very well and who knows how the changes will affect existing ports.  I did have to modify the ICU port file because it has some custom steps that need to be done before its configure script will succeed for a cross-compile. I also had to make an adjustment because of the lack of tzfile.h in the target OS.

-James