Gnome 2.30 running on OS X 10.6?

Carlos Marx carlosniko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 08:20:58 PST 2011

Hello:

First of all I want to thank anyone that contributes to the macports
project, you guys have done an excellent job! (:

I juts hit a little road bump with the Gnome package. My goal is to run
Gnome 2.30.2 (
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/gnome/gnome/Portfile) on my
5.2 Gen Macbook Pro 13 running OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard).

I found a discussion on the mailing list here about the issue (my issue
is described in that discussion):
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-December/022802.html
Link to December archive:
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-December/subject.html

But it seems the issue was not resolved.

Did someone manage to run gnome on Snow Leopard? Could you post what you did
here and/or update the wiki entry for gnome with macports?

Link to the wiki:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/GNOME

I tried both ~/.xinitrc.d/90-gnome.sh (quartz-wm and metacity) to no avail.

Then I googled and found an older post:
http://wnugroho.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/gnome-on-mac/

That used ~/.xinitrc instead of the one in the wiki, it did not work.

Some other (probably not relevant) details:
- openbox works (
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/x11/openbox/Portfile), exec
openbox-session
- scrotwm works (http://www.scrotwm.org/osx.html), exec scrotwm, I complied