MacPorts Leopard + Apache 2.2.17 + PHP 5.3.5 + WordPress 3.0.4 + 1 million or so users per month issue

Betty Bronner bettybronner at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 17:27:44 PST 2011

We've unfortunately had to revert to the Apple Apache and Entropy PHP  for the
time being.  The problems were happening too frequently.  Of  course, that means
we are now back to square one.

MacPorts is pretty much a last-ditch effort to try to continue to use  Leopard
to host the site.  We're evaluating all options but we're  running out of them
very quickly.  I've tried building the software  myself from source but it
typically just breaks somewhere halfway through the  build and I give up.
Everyone on the Internet is all "Linux or bust!" with no support  or love for OS
X Server.  Plus, Apple recently terminated the OS X  Server product line.

I found this:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/26039

But obviously that isn't included yet or it would show up in the variants list.

nginx is the new hotness - powering 6% of the top 1 million web servers - and
will probably stay the new hotness as long as they don't bloat the default
out-of-the-box server like Apache.  Unfortunately, it is still a rather
experimental server.  Everyone's been recommending php-fpm with nginx.  I got an
idea I'll try tomorrow and see if I can make it work - maybe nginx with php5
+fastcgi +pear might work.

- Betty