Rebuilding a part of an installation

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Fri Jul 1 05:25:32 PDT 2011

On 1 Jul, 2011, at 11:47 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> is there a way to rebuild a part of a MacPorts installation, such as "python26 and everything that depends on it"? I tried
>>
>> 	port upgrade --force python26
>>
>> but that rebuilds lots of packages which don't depend on Python, including monsters such as gcc44.
>
> Strange, I'm not sure why that would rebuild gcc44, since it appears nowhere in the dependency chain that I can see.

It's a dependency of py26-numpy, which I have also installed and perhaps mentioned in that command line as well.

> To rebuild just python26 and nothing else you could do:
>
> sudo port -n upgrade --force python26
>
> To rebuild python26 and everything that depends on it you could do:
>
> sudo port -nR upgrade --force python26
>
> (I think) but this won't rebuild things that depend on those things that depend on python26 so this may not be what you need.

No, I want to continue along the whole dependency tree.

> Perhaps if you explain why you want to rebuild python26 and everything that depends on it, we could say the best way to do that.

I noticed that a couple of my Python modules were not up to date, for whatever reason. For example, hdf5-18 had at some point been updated to version 1.8.7, but py26-h5py was still compiled for 1.8.6 and therefore crashed with an error message. Likewise, py26-scientific was out of sync with netcdf4. I can't reconstruct how I got into that situation, but I don't really want to either: I just want to fix my Python installation with as little effort as possible, because I rely on it for my daily work.

Konrad.