MacPorts 2.0.0-beta2 now available for testing

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 5 17:15:21 PDT 2011

On Jul 5, 2011, at 19:11, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2011-7-6 10:03 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 2011, at 17:08, Joshua Root wrote:
>>
>>> * the user is created with home dir /var/empty rather than /dev/null
>>
>> For users who already installed 2.0.0-beta1, do they need to edit the user manually to make this change or will MacPorts or its installer do this automatically?
>
> The former. The command to do that is:
>
> sudo dscl . -create /Users/macports NFSHomeDirectory /var/empty
>
> I personally never noticed any problems with it being /dev/null though.
> (I've actually just changed it now.)

And I'm not convinced setting it to /var/empty is a great solution. The issue in response to which you changed it from /dev/null to /var/empty was about a program's inability to create some sort of directory in home for its settings. So now it's going to create that settings directory inside /var/empty, which seems wrong; that directory *should* remain empty. I don't know if the OS cleans it out at some point.