request for newer binutils (2.21)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 04:05:17 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:18, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Requests to update ports should be filed in the issue tracker.
>>
>> I did that 6 months ago:
>>    <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/28158>
>> but nobody picked it up.
>
> Ok, thanks. Writing to the mailing list is the correct procedure then if a ticket is ignored or forgotten.

Thanks a lot for fixing it.

> But you should mention the ticket number so we don't have to hunt for it, or give you bad advice like asking you to file a ticket when you've already done that.

I didn't remember myself that I submitted the ticket, I found it when
I wanted to submit a new one.

>> It is a trivial patch, nothing except the
>> version and md5sum has to be changed.
>>
>> (Anyway, I cannot compile it now anyway due to other bugs.)
>
> Can you elaborate? Are these other bugs already filed in the issue tracker?

I was pointed to this report
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29104
A pretty serious problem. One cannot compile gcc or migw gcc or
anything else at all.

I would love to submit the problem to Apple, but as someone else
pointed out: it is more productive to write to /dev/null than losing
time filing bug reports to Apple. I've been waiting for them to
resolve at least three serious bugs forever.

Mojca