MacPorts installation on a separate partition

Michelle Gill michelle.lynn.gill at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 06:06:51 PDT 2011

Dear MacPorts Users,

With the forthcoming release of Lion, I am considering moving my MacPorts installation onto a separate partition when I perform my usual fresh installation of the new operating system. I haven't seen this topic addressed in much detail in the archives of this list, so I am requesting comments and/or advice from others who have attempted such a task.

General feedback is welcome, but there are two questions in which I am specifically interested:

* Was the location of MacPorts changed during installation or was the default MacPorts installation moved from /opt/local to a secondary partition which was then linked to /opt/local? If the latter was done, was a symbolic link created from /opt/local to the second partition[1] or was the partition mounted at /opt/local using /etc/fstab or whatever Mac OS X is using these days for static mountpoints? (I have a Linux background and can't recall at the moment if Mac OS X uses something different.)

* How does MacPorts handle hard links to the main filesystem, e.g. to "/Applications/MacPorts/Python 2.6/Python Launcher.app," when it is located on a separate partition?

[1] It seems there was an issue associated with creating a symbolic link to /opt/local, but the issue is marked as fixed: http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21082

Thank you for your input.

Kindest regards,
Michelle Gill

Michelle L. Gill, Ph.D.
NIH Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Palmer Laboratory
Columbia University Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics
Black Building, Room 511
650 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
Email: mg2917 at columbia.edu, michelle.lynn.gill at gmail.com