Trickle bandwidth shaper

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 12:58:30 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 15:37, Ralph Seichter <macports-ml at seichter.de>wrote:

> On 20.07.11 00:51, Arno Hautala wrote:
> > I'd enjoy using trickle as well, but I doubt it's possible without
> > significant rewrites..
>
> Well, perhaps ipfw-based traffic shaping is the proper way to do things
> with OS X. Randal Schwartz has suggested this direction aswell. I think
> I will give it a try, although I'd still prefer an approach which can be
> targeted on single applications instead of a given port or machine.

I don't think OSX's dynamic linking supports runtime overrides the way ELF
with weak symbols does.

Actually, it looks like it does to some extent, but only if the programs
you're linking into use flat namespaces; Leopard and Snow Leopard default to
2-level namespaces.  See the "-flat_namespace" and "-force_flat_namespace"
options to ld(1).  Looks to me like a program has to be linked with the
latter option to support it.  That's going to severely restrict what you can
use it with.