GCC Version

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 07:43:50 PDT 2011

Yes, it's certainly possible.  You have to install one of the newer GCC
packages (gcc43, gcc44, gcc45, or gcc46), then install the gcc_select
package to toggle between them.

To make things easier, you could also install glib2 through MacPorts as
well, and it will build the necessary components for you:

sudo port install glib2

Hope this helps,
Jason

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Paul C <crispy1975 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an easy way to use the newer versions of gcc contained in the
> MacPorts tree instead of the version that is installed with what I assume is
> Xcode (3.1.4)?
>
> I had complie errors on glib2 and after submitting a bug report to the
> gnome people it might be down to the old version of gcc installed not
> supporting various things.
>
> Currently I have:
>
> Power-Mac-G5:~ crispy$ gcc --version
> powerpc-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.**1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)
>
> However I see the apple-gcc-42 and gcc46 available.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul

Jason M. Swails