GCC Version

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 07:57:36 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Paul C <crispy1975 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The main reason for the switch to a newer version of gcc is that I cannot
> compile glib2 with using the port command, it fails towards the end of the
> compile. I'll give gcc_select a go with a new version of gcc and see what
> happens.

That seems like an issue with MacPorts itself.  If a newer gcc was required,
it would have built it as part of the dependencies and automatically used
it.  I also think MacPorts will force the build process to use the XCode
compilers (as it usually does for packages that don't require a newer gcc or
fortran).

That said, I don't know how well MacPorts supports the PowerPC architectures
(on Tiger/Leopard) anymore, and I don't have a machine to test that on.

All the best,
Jason

--
Jason M. Swails