Syncing ports to another machine

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Sat Jul 23 07:36:52 PDT 2011

Prior to 2.0 (congrats!) I'd been compiling pretty much every port I
wanted to install on my desktop with Archive Mode enabled. I'd then
rsync those archives to my laptop and install from there. MacPorts 2.0
however has changed the way that archives are used. Instead of storing
the archives under architecture directories in
/opt/local/var/macports/packages/, they're stored directly under
/opt/local/var/macports/software/ and nothing new is written to the
packages directory.

At first, I considered just changing the directories that I'm syncing,
but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Or would this indeed be the
equivalent process?

I also noted that MacPorts now supports installing pre-compiled
binaries. Is there a more supported way that I could configure my
installations to fetch archives from my desktop?

Also, now that archives are being stored under software is there
reason to keep around what's under packages? Aside from sentimentals?

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448