MacPorts is hijacking account on MacOSXServer

Rodolfo Aramayo raramayo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 12:44:10 PDT 2011

IMPORTANT

For those if you running MacPorts on MacOSXServers...be aware!

The latest installation of MacPorts is taking over mobile accounts on
MacOSXServer

Obviously the installer does not determine the presence of 'mobile'
accounts and finds the next available UniqueID number available and
assigns it to the 'macports:staff'

The problem this creates is obvious, mobile users using that
particular UniqueID lose control over their directories and files

While the problem can be easily fixed by reverting the usernames to
their old ones, it is not clear to me what implications this will have
on the macports user. Please advice here

Also I do not understand why the '/opt' directory is not now owned by
the 'macports:staff' user

Thanks

--R