Unable to proceed with installation of tiff after hitting Ctrl+C

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 07:51:03 PDT 2011

Dear list,

While trying to install wxWidgets 2.8, I realized that it would make
sense to first upgrade outdated packages and thus decided to stop
installation in the middle and upgrade some ports first (in another
terminal) and then proceed with installation.

I usually hit Ctrl+C as soon a as new package starts fetching sources,
but this time I have hit it too soon and I have no idea how to recover
from the error that was probably caused by that Ctrl+C:

> sudo port install wxWidgets
--->  Fetching archive for jpeg
--->  Fetching jpeg
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for jpeg
--->  Extracting jpeg
--->  Configuring jpeg
--->  Building jpeg
--->  Staging jpeg into destroot
--->  Installing jpeg @8c_0+universal
--->  Cleaning jpeg
--->  Deactivating jpeg @8c_0
--->  Cleaning jpeg
--->  Activating jpeg @8c_0+universal
--->  Cleaning jpeg
--->  Computing dependencies for tiff
--->  Fetching archive for tiff
--->  Fetching tiff
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for tiff
--->  Extracting tiff
--->  Configuring tiff
--->  Building tiff
--->  Staging tiff into destroot
--->  Installing tiff @3.9.5_0+universal
^C> sudo port install wxWidgets
--->  Computing dependencies for tiff
--->  Installing tiff @3.9.5_0+universal
Error: Target org.macports.install returned: tar: Error opening
archive: (Empty error message)
Log for tiff is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_graphics_tiff/tiff/main.log
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade tiff failed
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

I tried cleaning and reinstalling tiff, but no success at all. I have
seen a related bug report in tracker questioning how it was possible
to arrive to such inconsistent state at all.

It might be that tiff is broken, but I heavily suspect a broken installation.

How can I recover from this?

Thank you very much,
    Mojca