libnotify Lion issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 30 16:39:58 PDT 2011

On Jul 30, 2011, at 18:32, Dominik Reichardt wrote:

> this is most likely not possible with MacPorts yet, but couldn't it be avoided to even begin installing a whole chain of ports when they depend on something that is known to not work atm?

You're right, this is not possible with MacPorts as it exists today. libnotify shows its error during specific phases (pre-fetch and pre-activate), and a port's phases do not run until MacPorts starts trying to install that port. And it is not proper for a port to display an error message outside of a phase (this causes various issues).

> I stumbled over this while trying to install Winetricks and after countless of ports it installed the process failed on libnotify.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

This is because winetricks depends on zenity depends on libnotify.

zenity is a program for creating nice graphical menus for selecting things, which winetricks uses if available, but is not essential to winetricks. If you can tell winetricks what to do on the command line, then zenity isn't needed.

I modified winetricks to not depend on zenity on Lion, until this is sorted out.

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/81444