difficulty in determining culprit...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 11 17:25:33 PDT 2011

On Jun 11, 2011, at 17:50, Roger Pack wrote:

> $ sudo port install texi2html
> --->  Computing dependencies for texi2html
> --->  Fetching texi2html
> --->  Attempting to fetch texi2html-5.0.tar.bz2 from
> http://nongnu.askapache.com/texi2html
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for texi2html
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for texi2html-5.0.tar.bz2
> Error: Checksum (sha1) mismatch for texi2html-5.0.tar.bz2
> Error: Checksum (rmd160) mismatch for texi2html-5.0.tar.bz2
> ***
> The non-matching file appears to be HTML. See this page for possible reasons
> for the checksum mismatch:
> <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/MisbehavingServers>
> ***
> Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file checksums
> Log for texi2html is at:
> /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_texi2html/main.log
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
>

> The only problem being...this error message (nor the log file) tell me
> which server it used to download from,

The server used was: nongnu.askapache.com

> nor give me a hint as to how to use another one.

There isn't a way, I'm afraid. MacPorts picks the mirror it thinks is closest to you.

> Perhaps it should link to a FAQ entry that discusses
> this?
>
> (for followers, the file was indeed HTML, and manually downloading
> http://mirrors.zerg.biz/nongnu/texi2html/texi2html-5.0.tar.bz2  *over
> the top* of that file overcame the problem, but that was hard to
> figure out--attempting to reinstall always resulted in the same
> problem, so there didn't appear to be an easy workaround).
> Thanks!

The problem appears to be that nongnu.askapache.com has been replaced with generic pages, whose checksums of course do not match the checksums of the desired distfile. This problem should be reported to the administrator of that server. Until they fix it, I've removed it from our list of mirrors:

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/79375