Help: problem with PySide and libpng

Thomas Haymore thomas.haymore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:41:45 PDT 2011

I've installed pyside using macports, and have been trying to import the
various components of the module with limited success.

from PySide.QtCore import *

Works just fine.  But:

from PySide.QtGui import *

Produces the following error:

 {{{
 Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 ImportError:
 dlopen(/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6
 /site-packages/PySide/QtGui.so, 2): Library not loaded:
 /opt/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libQtGui.4.dylib
  Reason: Incompatible library version: libQtGui.4.dylib requires version
 45.0.0 or later, but libpng12.0.dylib provides version 44.0.0
 }}}

It turns out that this problem is listed on the ProblemHotlist page, but
I've already tried those solutions with no effect.  I have already tried:

 {{{
 sudo port selfupdate
 sudo port upgrade outdated
 }}}

 and

 {{{
 sudo port -n upgrade --force libpng
 }}}

 All with no effect.  I'm using a Mac 10.6, if that information helps.

Any help?

Thomas