Postfix (Fetchmail and Dovecote) on OSX 10.6.7 ???

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Fri Jun 17 03:58:56 PDT 2011

William H. Magill wrote:

>> But what are your ambitions ???
>> Mine are rather extensive, as I need to set up several virtual domains,
>> so it's my intension to use postfix with either mysql5 or postgresql90.
>
> I run my own domain ... mcgillsociety.org
>
> My current mail server is an old Dec Alpha running Tru64 Unix and UW/IMAP.
>
> I also run a webserver on my Mac Mini using the MacPorts Apache2/PHP/MySQL5 installation.
>
> I assume, but don't know that the mail.app on that mini uses postfix to query the Alpha IMAP server
> but don't know how Mail.app works in that regard.
>
> If it is using Postfix, I don't know, but assume, it is using the native OSX Postfix as I presently have
> both it and the MacPorts version installed and have not done anything to the OSX installation.

nope -- Mail.app doesn't use postfix in any way

Mail.app is a MUA (Mail User Agent)
postfix  is a MTA (Mail Transfer Agent)
         completely similiar in fuctionality to sendmail
actually, Mail.app isn't able to talk to postfix at all unless one
installs a POP3/IMAP server also - this is why one also needs Dovecot

the process is this (simplified):
sending      email : MUA -> MTA
transferring email : MTA -> MTA -> ... -> MTA
receiving    email : MUA <- PO3/IMAP <- MTA
using fetchmail    : MUA <- fetchmail <- POP3/IMAP <- MTA

> magill at mcgillsociety.org
> magill at me.com
> whmagill at gmail.com

seems you might need to get mail transferred from me.com & gmail.com as
well ?

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa