Postfix (Fetchmail and Dovecote) on OSX 10.6.7 ???

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Fri Jun 17 14:07:37 PDT 2011

William H. Magill wrote:
> Also, got this comment from Andrew Long...
>
> On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:29 AM, Andrew Long wrote:
>
>> I tried to get postfix running many years ago, after moving from Linux to OS/X. I stumbled at the first hurdle as the inbuilt DNS client wouldn't retrieve MX information for target mail domains (it was just requesting information from the piss-poor DNS client in my router) and I just gave up trying to get a real DNS system installed on the Mac... however, that was back under Tiger, the situation may have improved since then ;-)

That's really not the fault of postfix, but a piss-poor DNS system in
the router. postfix uses the DNS services from the computer, and the
computer queries external DNS services etc etc. if the router or the
local ISP don't provide quality service, then one can bypass these and
use eg the openDNS servers. You can manually set this up in Network
Preferences.

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa