Postfix (Fetchmail and Dovecote) on OSX 10.6.7 ???

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Sat Jun 18 09:18:03 PDT 2011

Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2011, at 3:58 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>
>> Mail.app is a MUA (Mail User Agent)
>> postfix  is a MTA (Mail Transfer Agent)
>>         completely similiar in fuctionality to sendmail
>> actually, Mail.app isn't able to talk to postfix at all unless one
>> installs a POP3/IMAP server also - this is why one also needs Dovecot
>
> Mail.app sends messages using smtp and postfix speaks smtp.

Yeah ... I had posted when I realised my mistake ... I was thinking of
the receiving end when I wrote it :-(

MUAs do speak smtp when _sending_ but not when _receiving_ !

> Postfix does not speak pop3 or imap.
> Postfix CAN use dovecot to deliver local messages to a file system.
>

> dovecot.org <http://dovecot.org> has some recipes to get you started.
> http://wiki1.dovecot.org/HowTo
>
> I use something similar to this one "Postfix and Dovecot with MySQL and
> TLS/SSL, Postgrey and DSPAM".
> http://johnny.chadda.se/article/mail-server-howto-postfix-and-dovecot-with-mysql-and-tlsssl-postgrey-and-dspam/
>
> Here is the MacPorts ports with variants I'm currently using.
>   dovecot2 @2.0.13_0+mysql5 (active)
>   dovecot2-antispam @hg.43880985e3dd_0 (active)
>   dovecot2-sieve @0.2.3_0 (active)
>   dspam-devel @git-20110520_0+debug+mysql5 (active)
>   mysql5 @5.1.57_0 (active)
>   mysql5-server @5.1.57_0 (active)
>   postfix @2.8.3_0+dovecot_sasl+mysql5+pcre+tls (active)
>   sqlgrey @1.8.0-rc2_0+mysql (active)
>
> sqlgrey is a fork of Postgrey and supports sql storage.

These don't seem to be in MacPorts ???
sqlgrey
dovecot2-antispam
dspam-devel

I've also found postfixadmin - http://postfixadmin.sourceforge.net/
and am in the process of writing a Portfile for it

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa