Cannot start KDE apps

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 22:12:14 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 00:56, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> After one false start, trying to do it all in one "port" command, I decided
> to go step by step and install the major dependencies one port  command
> at a time (qt-mac, kdelibs4, etc.).  That all succeeded after several hours,
> but now none of the installed apps will start.

There's an issue with KDE 4 stuff:  a number of special directories,
accessed through symlinks in ~/Library/Preferences/KDE/, need to be
precreated before any KDE application will work.  Note also that the
symlink paths will change if the hostname does (important if you're
using a laptop).  Possibly kdeinit4 is supposed to do this
automatically, but it doesn't.

--
brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at gmail.com