perl5, perl5.* changes

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Tue Mar 1 08:50:53 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 11:09:19AM -0500, Arno Hautala wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:45, Dan Ports <dports at macports.org> wrote:
> >
> > If no one objects, I'll do exactly this today.
>
> One, slight, objection.
>
> In the interest of not having to revbump twice, are we ready to fully
> migrate to 5.12?
> I've seen several votes for dropping the multiple perl versions and
> just following the latest stable release. I haven't seen any requests
> to stick with the existing multiple version "support".
>
> If there's a consensus to just move to 5.21, I say do both today.
> If the consensus isn't there yet, revbump first.

	I'm quite clear on the need for multiple versions of perl.
For one, I use several perl versions for what I do.  IIRC the ghc port
requires perl5.8 for its configuration, newer versions of perl
don't work (this may have changed, though I see ghc still depends
on perl5.8).  There may be additional reasons to maintain several
perl versions.

	Revbumping all the p5-* ports is certainly an easy solution
to the problem, and perhaps should have been done at the same time
the perl5* changes went in.

		-eric