Python wrong install dir

Hauke Fuhrmann hauke.fuhrmann at gmx.de
Fri Mar 4 01:48:41 PST 2011

Hi there,

without any Python knowledge I try to run some setup script from some
Python project like

$sudo python setup.py install

I have Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 installed via Macports, as well as
py26-setuptools and py26-distutils-extra.

"python --version" results version 2.6

I get this error message:

-----------------------

running install
error: can't create or remove files in install directory

The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
installation directory:

    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/test-easy-install-25929.write-test'

The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

This directory does not currently exist.  Please create it and try again, or
choose a different installation directory (using the -d or --install-dir
option).

I think the directory

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/

actually is invalid as I found Python 2.6 installed in

/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages

Is this correct? How do I change this? I don't know what is meant by
"choose a different installation directory".

Cheers,
Hauke