Python wrong install dir

Hauke Fuhrmann hauke.fuhrmann at gmx.de
Fri Mar 4 07:47:44 PST 2011

Am 04.03.11 16:08, schrieb Ryan Schmidt:

> On Mar 4, 2011, at 03:59, Hauke Fuhrmann wrote:
>
>> Could it be that Python is installed twice, maybe once by Macports and
>> once standalone? I did not install it explicitly. Maybe it came with
>> some other tool. Maybe there is some conflict... Any idea how to fix this?
>
> Definitely. Python comes with Mac OS X, and now it is also installed by MacPorts. Decide which one you want to install your module into. There is nothing to fix; it is fine to have multiple Pythons.

Thanks, but how do I do this? And why is the error message about the
installation TARGET? And if the Macports Python is my default, why does
it not install this thing at this default location? Where do I configure
where to install such that the setup script runs through?

The original error seems to be

 [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/test-easy-install-25929.write-test'

I understand it searches for some file at that location, so what does
that have to do with the target of the current setup?

Sorry, I'm really a Python newb.

Hauke