Fwd: Please send contents of current mysqld file

David Gentry localbusinesswebsites at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 9 14:09:23 PST 2011

Rainer,

I am responding to your message of today:

On 03/09/2011 02:51 AM, David Gentry wrote:
> My Mac appears to corrupt the mysqld file whenever I download mysql5
> and mysql5-server from MacPorts.  I would very much like to see a
> current copy of the contents of mysqld.  Maybe that way I can
> determine what my Mac is doing to mysqld.  Could someone please send
> me a copy of the contents of mysqld?

What makes you think it is "corrupt"?
What is the error message or behavior you are seeing?

>The behavior I am seeing:

I am following the MacPorts wiki, and I run either sudo -u mysql mysql_install_db5 or sudo mysql_install_db5.  I get the same response:

	"FATAL ERROR: Could not find mysqld

	The following directories were searched:

   	 	/usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/libexec
    		/usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/sbin
   		 /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/bin

	If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to
	copy the software into the correct location ready for operation.

	If you are using a binary release, you must either be at the top
	level of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir option
	pointing to that location."

I had trashed the directories searched, and then I had run "secure empty trash."

I can resolve that error by moving mysqld to the same directory as mysql_install_db, namely /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/, and then running sudo mysql_install_db5 --basedir=/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin.

The response is:

	"FATAL ERROR: Could not find my_print_defaults

	The following directories were searched:

    		/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/bin
    		/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/extra

	If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to
	copy the software into the correct location ready for operation.

	If you are using a binary release, you must either be at the top
	level of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir option
	pointing to that location."

If I move my_print_defaults to the same basedir as mysqld and mysql_install_db5, then the above error message will be resolved but another will appear concerning another file.  If I move that file to the basedir, I will get another error message about another file.

After I move 5-7 files and run the same command, I will get a message like "Establishing tables" [I don't remember the exact words] and the text of mysqld:

"110309 14:31:30 [Warning] '--log' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use ''--general_log'/'--general_log_file'' instead.
110309 14:31:30 [Warning] '--skip-locking' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use '--skip-external-locking' instead.
110309 14:31:30 [Warning] /opt/local/libexec/mysqld: Option '--set-variable' is deprecated. Use --variable-name=value instead.
110309 14:31:30 [Warning] /opt/local/libexec/mysqld: Option '--set-variable' is deprecated. Use --variable-name=value instead.
110309 14:31:30 [Warning] /opt/local/libexec/mysqld: Option '--set-variable' is deprecated. Use --variable-name=value instead.
110309 14:31:30 [ERROR] Can't find messagefile '/usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/share/mysql5/mysql/__PREFIX/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'
110309 14:31:30 [Warning] Can't create test file /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/data/DAVID.lower-test
110309 14:31:30 [Warning] Can't create test file /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/data/DAVID.lower-test
/opt/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64/data/' (Errcode: 2)
110309 14:31:30 [ERROR] Aborting

110309 14:31:30 [Note]"

Except for the timestamp, the text is the same as when I run /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqld.  The "aborting" message to me means that mysqld does not run fully.  It seems to get derailed at the first "ERROR" message by a file which has been securely deleted from my Mac: /usr/local/mysql-5.5.6-rc-osx10.6-x86_64.

Today, I did not go further than moving mysqld and my_print_defaults to a basedir [the same directory as mysql_install_db5].  A day or two ago, I moved 5-7 files as I describe above.  Today, before I moved mysqld and my_print_defaults to a basedir, I ran "port provides" on them, and I got the response that they came from mysql5.  After I moved them to my basedir, I ran "port provides" again, and I got the message that the files are not provided by a MacPorts port -- which makes sense because after I moved them they were no longer in the directories in which MacPorts installed them.

David

Begin forwarded message: