Please send contents of current mysqld file

David Gentry localbusinesswebsites at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 09:56:29 PST 2011

Thanks for the info.  I agree with your concluding diagnosis about possibly a rogue my.cnf somewhere.  As I said, I have done my best to clean my system, but I will continue to do so.

David

On Mar 10, 2011, at 12:04 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Mar 9, 2011, at 12:54, David Gentry wrote:

> I did not mean to imply that the MacPorts file, mysqld, is corrupt.  Somehow it is getting corrupted on my system, and I intend to find out how.  I did not know that every system will treat mysqld differently.  That is good to know.  However, that information just adds to the mystery.  My system is a bread and butter Mac OS X version 10.6.6.

Not *every* system. But it differs based on OS version and processor architecture, at least. So if I send you the mysqld generated on my 64-bit Intel machine running Snow Leopard, that won't work for you if your Snow Leopard machine only has a 32-bit processor. It probably also won't work if you're running Leopard or Tiger, or a PowerPC processor.

> The reason I asked for the file contents, such as a text file, is that if I get the executable file my system might mess it up.

mysqld is not a text file. It is a compiled executable program.

> I will continue to pursue other avenues to solve the mystery of why my system corrupts the MacPorts mysqld.  As I have more information, I will pass it on to the email list.  It might help someone.

I doubt your mysqld is corrupt.

Assuming you are following the wiki instructions correctly, and they are not working for you, I believe you have files on your system that are interfering with the normal way of setting up MacPorts MySQL. Perhaps a rogue my.cnf somewhere containing references to the files in /usr/local/mysql* that you already deleted.

David J. Gentry
President
Good Things -- Small Packages, LLC
205-637-8000