Fwd: Xcode 4

Gregory Seidman gsslist+macports at anthropohedron.net
Thu Mar 10 11:04:33 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 07:08:48PM +0100, Marko K?ning wrote:
> > Unfortunately you only get it for "free" if you have a PAID (99,-)
> > developer account. The free account doesn't count anymore for version
> > 4, you can still get version 3.2.6 for free, though. Version 4 is 4
> > euro or 5 Dollar in the App Store.
>
> Well, 4 Euro is not so much, but still, it's a change of policy. :-(

Rumor has it that it is a regulatory issue. If Apple bundles too much
software with the OS or machine or something they open themselves up to
antitrust issues. I'm sort of surprised they don't have just the Mac SDK
stuff (compiler and frameworks/headers) in a simple to install free
package, though. I can see Xcode falling under such things, but not the
basic toolchain. Perhaps it will show up as a release in the open source
darwin project.

--Greg