perl5, perl5.* changes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 10 13:48:04 PST 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, Dave Aiello wrote:
> Do you think that this should be raised as some sort of bug?  I mean,
> I would never have thought that something labeled "perl5
> @5.12.3_1+perl5_8" was actually Perl 5.8.9 unless someone suggested
> it.

We could change the version of the perl5 port to just "5" to avoid confusion.

Note that this is not a recent problem. perl5 is a "meta" port, and has for years shared a version number with the version of the actual port that installs the actual files (e.g. perl5.8, perl5.12) that is installed by default. The perl5 metaport used to have the version 5.8.9 because its default variant was +perl5_8; if you used its +perl5_12 instead, you'd have perl5 @5.8.9_0+perl5_12. The only thing that changed recently is that the default perl5 variant changed from +perl5_8 and +perl5_12.