Please send contents of current mysqld file

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 13 15:09:35 PDT 2011

On Mar 13, 2011, at 17:04, David Gentry wrote:

> You suggested that I might have a rogue my.cnf file somewhere.  I can find only one my.cnf on my Mac.  The Finder says it is a "Plain text" file, and I opened it with TextEdit:
>
> # /etc/mysql/my.cnf: The global mysql configuration file.
>
> # This file can be simultaneously placed in three places:
> # 1. /etc/mysql/my.cnf to set global options.
> # 2. /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf to set server-specific options.
> # 3. ~/.my.cnf to set user-specific options.
> #
> # One can use all long options that the program supports.
> # Run the program with --help to get a list of them.
> #
> # The following values assume you have at least 32M RAM!
>
> [client]
> #password       = my_password
> port            = 3306
> socket          = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
>
> [safe_mysqld]
> err-log         = __PREFIX/var/log/mysql/mysql.err
> pid-file	= __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
> socket		= __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
>
> [mysqld_safe]
> err-log         = __PREFIX/var/log/mysql/mysql.err
> pid-file        = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
> socket          = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
>
> [mysqld]
> #skip-networking
> skip-innodb
> user            = mysql
> pid-file        = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
> socket          = __PREFIX/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> port            = 3306
> log             = __PREFIX/var/log/mysql/mysql.log
> basedir         = __PREFIX
> datadir         = __PREFIX/var/db/mysql
> tmpdir          = /tmp
> language        = __PREFIX/share/mysql/english
> skip-locking
> set-variable    = key_buffer=16M
> set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
> set-variable    = thread_stack=128K
>
> [mysqldump]
> quick
> set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
>
> [mysql]
> #no-auto-rehash # faster start of mysql but no tab completition
>
> [isamchk]
> set-variable    = key_buffer=16
>
> The location is /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/databases/mysql4/files/.
>
> How do I determine if it is a rogue file?

That's not one of the paths that mysql would look for my.cnf while it's running so it's of no consequence.

Now I don't know what is causing your mysql to behave differently from everybody else's.

> On March 10, I ran "port contents mysql5," and I sent the results to Bradley with a copy to you.  I don't see a my.cnf file in the contents of my mysql5 port.  Is that a problem?

Not a problem. It's correct that mysql5 does not install a my.cnf file. Indeed, it is MacPorts policy that ports shall not install conf files. They shall install *samples* of conf files that users can copy and modify at will. mysql5 installs sample conf files for you in /opt/local/share/mysql5/mysql.