Please send contents of current mysqld file

David Gentry localbusinesswebsites at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 16 09:58:29 PDT 2011

>Bayard,

>Maybe we are making progress.  I am responding to your email:

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 02:02:02 +0000
From: Bayard Bell <buffer.g.overflow at googlemail.com>
To: David Gentry <localbusinesswebsites at earthlink.net>
Cc: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>,	MacPorts
	<macports-users at lists.macosforge.org>
Subject: Re: Please send contents of current mysqld file

I've got other ports running and thus don't have a chance at the moment to download and install mysql5-server, but the stock install includes the following:

if test -z "$basedir"
then
 basedir="/usr"
 bindir="/usr/bin"
 mysqld="/usr/libexec/mysqld"
 pkgdatadir="/usr/share/mysql"
else

As the post-destroot patches don't appear to change this. Maybe the next thing to try is to set --basedir to /opt/local and probably set --datadir as well and generally check the documentation for the command you've been asked to invoke.

>Following your suggestion, I ran:

sudo mysql_install_db5 --basedir=/opt/local --datadir=/opt/local
Password:

FATAL ERROR: Could not find my_print_defaults

The following directories were searched:

    /opt/local/bin
    /opt/local/extra

If you compiled from source, you need to run 'make install' to
copy the software into the correct location ready for operation.

If you are using a binary release, you must either be at the top
level of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir option
pointing to that location.

>I don't understand this result because my_print_defaults5, an alias file, is in /opt/local/bin which was searched.  It appears that mysql_install_db5 could >not properly treat an alias file.  The original, my_print_defaults is in /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin.

>Curiously, I ran:

echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

>Then, using the Finder, I got information about my_print_defaults and discovered that it is an executable file.  So I ran:

/opt/local/bin/my_print_defaults5
/opt/local/bin/my_print_defaults5  Ver 1.6 for apple-darwin10.6.0 at i386
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Prints all arguments that is give to some program using the default files
Usage: /opt/local/bin/my_print_defaults5 [OPTIONS] groups
  -c, --config-file=name
                      Deprecated, please use --defaults-file instead. Name of
                      config file to read; if no extension is given, default
                      extension (e.g., .ini or .cnf) will be added
  -#, --debug[=#]     This is a non-debug version. Catch this and exit
  -c, --defaults-file=name
                      Like --config-file, except: if first option, then read
                      this file only, do not read global or per-user config
                      files; should be the first option
  -e, --defaults-extra-file=name
                      Read this file after the global config file and before
                      the config file in the users home directory; should be
                      the first option
  -g, --defaults-group-suffix=name
                      In addition to the given groups, read also groups with
                      this suffix
  -e, --extra-file=name
			Deprecated. Synonym for --defaults-extra-file.
  -n, --no-defaults   Return an empty string (useful for scripts).
  -?, --help          Display this help message and exit.
  -v, --verbose       Increase the output level
  -V, --version       Output version information and exit.

Default options are read from the following files in the given order:
/etc/my.cnf /etc/mysql/my.cnf /opt/local/etc/mysql5/my.cnf ~/.my.cnf

Variables (--variable-name=value)
and boolean options {FALSE|TRUE}  Value (after reading options)
config-file                       my
defaults-file                     my
defaults-extra-file               (No default value)
defaults-group-suffix             (No default value)
extra-file                        (No default value)

Example usage:
/opt/local/bin/my_print_defaults5 --defaults-file=example.cnf client mysql