problems running mysql_install_db5

David Gentry localbusinesswebsites at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 13:41:10 PDT 2011

Bayard,

Thank you for taking the time to do research and to provide advice.  I am sort of glad the answer is not evident to you after your research.  Maybe I am not insane.  I have read the same documentation you have in the reference manual and as you quoted from mysql_install_db5.  I have run the command both with "-u mysql" and, as you saw, without.  I have specified the basedir as /opt/local/bin (where the aliases are) and as /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin (where the original files are).  I have specified the datadir as /opt/local/var/db/mysql5 because that appears to be the correct location for the datadir.  I am sorry I don't have the knowledge of unix and shells that might help me better define the problem.

Unless Bradley Giesbrecht can provide insight from my responses to his requests, I will turn to other sources for mysql as you recommended.

Thanks, again.

David