Can I uninstall xcode 4 after installing the required macports?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 19 21:58:24 PDT 2011

On Mar 19, 2011, at 23:51, Dontino wrote:

> if say at a later date I wish to install other ports, can I just reinstall
> xcode and then it would work?

Yes, I think that should work.

> I suppose xcode is only needed for installation? Hence am I right that
> uninstalling a port wouldn't require xcode?

Yes, Xcode is only needed for the compilers and other build utilities it provides, which are generally only used during the configure, build and destroot phases. The install and activate phases are merely MacPorts copying files around, just as deactivate and uninstall are just MacPorts deleting files.

If you're going to uninstall Xcode, I recommend you use the script Apple includes to do that:

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

That should ensure everything is uninstalled properly, and can be unproblematically reinstalled later if desired.