Reply-To list :WAS: Re: index.php files ignored

Mon Mar 21 01:11:21 PDT 2011

Keith,

I agree that it would be better to munge the reply-to
field. But, as stated in the article, IETF has spoken and
reply-to isn't to be munged.

Consequence: Just hit Reply-To-All when replying.
Easy enough, I think ;)

But then there are of course certain *** people, who
complain that they got an unasked for CC. To those:
Read the article! It's easy enough to filter out mails
which were adressed to "you" and to the list

Alexander

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:49, Keith J. Schultz <keithjschultz at web.de>wrote:

> Hi Ryan, All,
>
>        I have read the article.
>        But, The FROM field already shows the author of the mail.
>        Reply-to is their IF the reply is to go somewhere else.
>        This is especially true of list-servs.
>        IHMO it is normal and natural for the reply to a listserv
>        go to the list and not the Author, because the answer is almost
>        always of interest to the community.
>        Furthermore, when one participates on a list that is exactly what
>        one wants. To communicate with the community and not necessarily
>        just a single person!
>
>        As I do not often reply to this list I continually get caught by
> this
>        lists policy which is not only annoy, but to individuals as they
> must decide
>        was this mail directed just to me or should it have been directed to
> the list, also!!
>        The policy is not very User-friendly!
>
>        Just my 2 € cents worth!
>
>        regards
>                Keith
>
> Am 20.03.2011 um 10:37 schrieb Ryan Schmidt:

> it. (Use Reply All when you reply.)
> >>
> >> Why doesn't the list-owner just employ a proper Reply-To header?
> >
> > Speaking as one of the list owners (though not necessarily for all
> MacPorts managers, developers, maintainers, or users), I subscribe to this
> view on the matter:
> >
> > http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

Alexander
--