Installing MacPorts with a non-standard XCode install

Loren Spice jadenb1729 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 18:28:03 PDT 2011

I am very stubborn about putting my files where I want them, not where installers want to put them (flat /Applications directories, feugh), and so I'm trying to get MacPorts installed to a custom directory $PREFIX, using an XCode install in the custom location $XCODE.  After much fiddling, I get to the following.
{{{
export XCODESDK=$XCODE/System/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk
export PATH=$PATH:$XCODE/usr/bin LDFLAGS="-L$XCODESDK/usr/lib -I$XCODESDK/usr/include -F$XCODESDK/System/Library/Frameworks" CPPFLAGS="-I$XCODESDK/usr/include"

./configure --prefix=$PREFIX/base --with-no-root-privileges --with-tclinclude=$XCODESDK/Tcl.framework/Headers
}}}
I'm not sure why I need both LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS passing the same information; but, without it, ./configure fails at the cpp
 stage.

Anyway, all this works fine until ./configure goes looking for tclConfig.sh, and doesn't find it.  I know that I could pass it in using --with-tcl; but I don't *have* it anywhere.  Some Googling suggests that it should probably be in $XCODESDK/Tcl.framework next to the Tcl executable (or in /usr/lib), but it's not.  Did Apple change something with XCode 3.2.6, so that this file is missing?  Is there anything that I can do to get the configuration to complete?  (I can attach config.log if it helps, but I'm not sure what the etiquette is; and all it shows is that ./configure failed when it tried to find tclConfig.sh.)

Thanks in advance for your help.