Compatible with Mac OS X Server 10.6?

René Fournier renefournier at gmail.com
Sun May 1 07:02:31 PDT 2011

> You may be better off just rebuild the mod_ssl module for Apple's apache rather than rebuilding all of apache... you'll probably run out of duct tape and crazy glue.

OK, that's good to know. My only issue is SSL, since Apache is not a security risk at this point. Now, the thing is, I did compile from source the latest version of OpenSSL (1.0.0d)... I did that a couple days ago, and I thought that that was enough. I added the new binary to the PATH (/usr/local/ssl/bin)... But then I checked Apache/PHP and noticed they still were reporting the old version.

So I guess my first question is, do I need to simply configure Apache somewhere to use the newer OpenSSL now installed?

- or -

Can I simply build mod_ssl for Apache and somehow hook that up while continuing to enjoy the benefits of Apple's magical Server Admin and other web-related services?

I see mod_ssl in httpd.conf (LoadModule ssl_module libexec/apache2/mod_ssl.so), is that what needs to be updated as well?

If so, can anyone recommend a good walkthrough for compiling a newer mod_ssl based on the latest source?