Standard/recommended md5sum for mac

Mon May 2 01:26:09 PDT 2011

Hi.

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:12, Gabriele Kahlout <gabriele at mysimpatico.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed that md5sum is not installed and not even available on
> macports.

Wrong. md5sum is available in macports. It's called gmd5sum. Should
be part of coreutils (cannot verify right now).

> I figured there's md5 which is not in ubuntu (by default) though.
> I wondered what's the preferred cross-unix way of checking the integrity of
> a file (give md5 and sha1 sums).

Standard unix way would be verifying the md5 and/or sha1 and/or
gpg signatures. There are "varying" tools for this. Standard LINUX
tool would be md5sum and/or sha1sum. "Portable" way might be
to use openssl, like so:

$ openssl md5 config
MD5(config)= a8e4f364fa349fd2e581f7b43988fa61

On OSX, there's a "md5" executable, which is a wrapper for openssl,
IIRC.

Alexander
--
↯    Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/     ↯