is perl available from macports?

Tena Sakai sakaitena at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 20:32:34 PDT 2011

Hi Bradley,

Yes, I have tried both of what you mention and neither works.
When I do:
  $ sudo port install p5-macosx-file
I get:
  Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log for details)
  Log for p5-macosx-file is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-macosx-file/main.log
  To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

And the page: http://www.dan.co.jp/cases/macosx/psync.html
doesn't give any instruction for Snow Leopard.  Only Tiger, Panther,
and Jaguar.  It does give instruction to do it manually:
> tar zxvf MacOSX-File-x.xx.tar.gz
> cd MacOSX-File-x.xx
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> sudo make install

When I follow these steps, at 4th step (make),
I get:
  Catalog.xs:181: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
  Catalog.xs: In function ‘XS_MacOSX__File__Catalog_xs_setcatalog’:
  Catalog.xs:263: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
  make[1]: *** [Catalog.o] Error 1

I have also looked at Time Machine, but I don't
really like it.  It generates so many incremental
backup's.  To me, just making the whole backup
(level 0 in old lingo) as I see fit (and keeping
the current and a previous copies) works much better.

I wish I could get psync to work.

Tena