Python 2.7 and python_select

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Sun May 8 05:27:18 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM, T. S. Ferreira <tsferreira at gmail.com> wrote:

> Taht's what I did and it does not work!

Ah -- you said you just typed "python_select python", not "python_select
python27".  The first one definitely won't work, the second one might.

What does "which python" return?  If it returns "/usr/bin/python", then your
PATH got reordered (/usr/bin is in your PATH before /opt/local/bin).  The
way the *_select scripts work is it redirects symlinks to the desired
executables (gcc_select and python_select).  Therefore, "python_select
python27" will redirect the /opt/local/bin/python link to point to
/opt/local/bin/python27.  You can check this with "ls -l
/opt/local/bin/py*".  However, if "python" invokes the version in /usr/bin/,
then all this means nothing...

During installation, MacPorts puts the lines

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2010-03-09_at_17:43:11: adding an
appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

In your ~/.bash_profile to avoid these types of issues (I'm not sure if/how
it handles other shells, since I only use bash).

HTH,
Jason

--
Jason M. Swails