coreutils ls color (was: another question...)

Rodolfo Aramayo raramayo at gmail.com
Tue May 10 07:31:24 PDT 2011

Answers below..

--Rodolfo

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 09:03, Alexander Skwar <
alexanders.mailinglists+nospam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rodolfo,
>
> are you really sure?

It works of that I am sure

> Why should PS1 (the prompt value)
> have anything to do with ls showing color (or not)? There's
> no connection between those two settings and your, how
> you call it, "rationale" doesn't explain this.

Again. It works.

> Oh, and BTW: What you discovered is IMO *the* prime
> reason, why it's a BAD idea to have GNU stuff "too early"
> in the $PATH. Other ("system") tools might expect a certain
> behaviour after having figured out the operating system. Hence
> it's bad to have ls/tar/… way up front, if your not really on a GNU
> system (which you aren't, when you're on OS X).

You might be right. I am making the assumption that "system" tools will use
Apple paths whereas MacPorts-installed software will use port paths. The
fact that Apple uses PS1 call for example in /etc/bashrc file to control
Bash behavior gave me the courage to add PS1 calls to my /etc/profile file.
Remember this is only controlling terminal behavior. But even if it were
not, I can see how things could go wrong if I were forcing the system to
JUST use ports compilers, but this is not the case. The programs, ls/tar/
and so on should not really affect system behavior as in they have the same
function from those in the system. But again, you might be absolutely
right....and if you are, you shall be the first one to know

Again, ignorance is a bless and I might be heading into catastrophe. At
least I am having fun while at the wheel...;)