Need help with using a MacPorts-created .dmg installer for ffmpeg 0.6.2

Eric epstewart2004 at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 10:08:45 PDT 2011

I am trying to use ffmpeg (version 0.6.2) on my iMac running Mac OS X 10.5.8. I successfully installed that package on MacPorts on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.7. Then, on that MBP, in Terminal
sudo port dmg ffmpeg
worked to create a .dmg file that I then copied to my iMac and installed. Various components (the Unix executable of ffmpeg and its associated dynamic library files) were duly placed in various locations in the /opt/local folder hierarchy on the iMac. But when I opened a 'bash' shell Terminal window on the iMac and typed in
ffmpeg
I got
-bash: ffmpeg: command not found
That's question #1: why did the .dmg installer not put the ffmpeg executable in a path that is automatically searched by the 'bash' shell on the iMac? (On the MBP, that path seemingly is actually searched, and so entering just 'ffmpeg' in a Terminal window on the MBP works as intended.)
On the iMac I contrived to set up a .bash_profile file, in my Home folder, containing the line
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin
after which I could enter just plain
ffmpeg
in a bash/Terminal window ... but it produced
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022Trace/BPT trap
which I interpret as meaning that ffmpeg wanted to load one of its .dylib files and couldn't find it.
That's question #2: What do I need to do to get the dynamic load library files to be located?
And question #3 is this: If I want to create a standalone folder containing just the ffmpeg executable and the associated .dylib files, how do I set it up so I can execute that copy of ffmpeg successfully. I need to do that because my ultimate goal is to put ffmpeg and its load libraries in the /Library/Application Support/Subsonic/transcode folder. That folder is used by the Subsonic server software for purposes of transcoding audio and video files by Subsonic. AFAIK, there is no way to point Subsonic to the ffmpeg executable in the /opt/local/bin folder ... even if I could get that executable to be able to locate its own .dylib files!
Any help or answers would be much appreciated. Thanks.